[Chandler-dev] Fixed-point number support

Morgen Sagen morgen at osafoundation.org
Mon Nov 13 14:55:25 PST 2006

I just sent the following email to cosmo-dev...

> The issue of supporting floating point numbers in EIM records has
> come up and raised some questions about precision and rounding, and
> whether Chandler needs to get back exactly what it writes to
> Cosmo.  After some IRC discussion in #chandler it seems like it
> makes sense for the places where Chandler needs to share non-
> integer numbers, we should replace those with Decimal (fixed point)
> values.  That would solve the problem of round-trip data not coming
> back to Chandler exactly the same way it was written to Cosmo, and
> also allows CosmoUI to understand these values (in other words,
> they're not just an opaque series of bytes that only Chandler
> understands).  Decimal seems to be supported in SQL as well.

...to see if they're on board with supporting the Decimal (fixed-
point number) type, and I also want to get feedback from Chandler
engineers about moving the few shared floating point values (only one
now, but soon two) we have to fixed-point, to avoid the round-trip
precision problems (not getting back exactly what we published) we face.

If we go this route, what would it take to add Decimal support to the
repository (Andi)?

~morgen