[Chandler-dev] Custom python?

Andi Vajda vajda at osafoundation.org
Wed Nov 1 14:37:21 PST 2006

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Morgen Sagen wrote:

> A long time ago I put in a windows-specific patch to tell Python not to look
> in the windows registry for installed modules.  This was to keep Chandler
> from using whatever version of wxPython the user happened to have installed,
> for example.  I don't know if this patch is even in place anymore, but that's
> the only issue I can think of.

The OS X-specific patch has to do with adding readline support. Historically,
on Mac OS X, python has been behind by one rev (2.3 vs 2.4) and comes without
readline builtin, a major bummer during development but something end users
might be able to do without... until they write their own parcel...

The patch to ignore the Windows registry is still in there, Morgen.

There are other patches in the 2.4.3 patch file that have to do with building
on Mac OS X, in debug, and on Intel Mac which Python didn't have at first.
One would assume that this is fixed with Python 2.5, which is probably a year
away from being installed by default on Mac OS X if things follow the same
trend.

I think the python-less install has the most chances to work on Linux first
and should be pursued there but on Windows and Mac, things are a little
harder.

Andi..