[Chandler-dev] Custom python?

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Wed Nov 1 13:36:03 PST 2006

We have had a long standing goal of wanting to not build and ship our
own python (at least on the Mac and Linux where we should be able to
rely on the system having python already).

I was going through the python patches we have again, and it is not
immediately obvious to me why we would need a patched Python for Mac and
Linux (for Windows there could be some confusion if there already was a
Python installation, but this could potentially be worked around by
making the installer smarter).

There is a Mac specific patch that seems to be needed only because we
build our own Python, and does not actually change the Python executable
itself in any way that we'd care about.

The other patch disables bsddb bsddb/test stdlibs, does some more stuff
that seems specific to building our own python, and does a Windows
change we might be able to skip by doing a smarter installer (install
python if there is no python already, otherwise use system python).

So, anybody see any reasons why we'd still need our own python?

--
  Heikki Toivonen