[Chandler-dev] Re: annotating selection

Andi Vajda vajda at osafoundation.org
Fri Mar 31 12:06:22 PST 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Alec Flett wrote:

> John Anderson wrote:
>> We originally considered doing this and it can be done. However, two
>> different users may want to have a sort named "date" that works
>> differently, e.g. one date sorts using one locale and another sorts by
>> another locale. So as long we build in a mechanism to resolve how different
>> names map to the same or different sorts it's fine. We choose the current
>> mechanism because it was easier than implementing such a mechanism.
>
> this is a degenerate case. If we need that case we can build something in
> where the index name is "date_en_US" or something, but I think building an
> entire extra layer of indirection to support this seems like premature
> generalization to me.

Maybe I'm missing something, but time moves in the same direction and at the
same rate for the whole planet. What is locale-specific date sorting anyway ?

Now, I can see locale-specific string sorting for sure but do we intend to
support multiple locales at the same time in the same UI ?
If the answer is yes, this can be achieved with multiple indexes, one per
locale, all installed on the same collection, and named appropriately.

Andi..