[Dev] Performance Update: Why is Chandler slow on Mac?

John Anderson john at osafoundation.org
Sat Mar 11 09:20:21 PST 2006

Andi Vajda wrote:
> Yeah, good luck getting the ./configure scripts to produce working
> Makefile unless these compilers are option-compatible with gcc...
> Also, since these compilers are not free (free as in libre) and
> probably not free (free as in beer), this move wouldn't be well
> received in the open source world, no ?
While I'd be the last person to underestimate the difficulty of
switching to a different compiler, Intel claims to have versions of
their compiler that are gcc compatible and Visual Studio compatible.
They also offer a free version for Linux open source projects:

And besides, they cost just under $400 each, which if they made Chandler
50% faster seems like a worthwhile price to pay. I think it definitely
deserves some investigation.