[Dev] Performance Update: Why is Chandler slow on Mac?

Alec Flett alecf at osafoundation.org
Fri Mar 10 11:32:43 PST 2006

Ted Leung wrote:
> Is it worthwhile trying to compile some of the smaller benchmarks on
> Windows using gcc to get some idea of how bad off we are using GCC?
> We could do release builds on the mac using either the IBM XLC
> compiler or on Mac OS intel using intel's compiler

I'm guessing that trying to get chandler/wx building on a different
compiler is going to be a nightmare - not because of compiler
incompatibilities, but because getting all the Makefiles to do what we
want is going to be extremely tedious.. and its not clear to me if there
is any benefit beyond confirming that in fact VC++ is a better compiler
than gcc.

It seems like what we've determined is "the python benchmarks are slower
on mac than windows because of gcc" - and that this is probably true for
all python apps... but Chandler on Linux isn't that bad.  While I think
this was a useful exercise so that we can have a baseline to compare
windows to mac, it doesn't really explain why the mac is also much
faster than Linux. It sounds like we need to start focusing on
chandler-specific stuff, specifically wx and berkeleydb.

How about making some benchmarks:
1) Resizing the chandler window (tests wx & wxPython, shouldn't have
much repository interference)
2) in headless, loading 3000 items and accessing some values on them

This might at least give us a clue if the problems are mostly in the UI,
or mostly in the database.

[As an aside: when I was doing the calendar performance work in 0.6, we
got benefits tweaking both the DB and wx - Andi did the db work of
course and I was focused on wx. One thing I found was that the
Python-to-C++ layer (SWIG) was a definite bottleneck for drawing. It
wouldn't surprise me if the slower gcc is making wx that much slower on
the mac because the SWIG'ed code is, of course, C++ and thus slow. I
will try to write up a wiki page next week with "lessons learned" from
wxPython performance tweaking.]

Alec