[Dev] Re: redirect and Who, About and Date

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Mar 8 17:11:43 PST 2006

At 04:58 PM 3/8/2006 -0800, Mimi Yin wrote:
>I guess what I'm asking is:
>Can we store a different Who attribute on a per-item basis?
>
>Within a single view (e.g. the Dashboard), can we have 2 incoming
>items and for one of them, feed the <From: attribute> to the <Who:
>attribute>; and for the other one, feed the <To: attribute> to the
><Who: attribute> for another one. In other words, can we allow the
>user to over-write whatever logic we specify in the Python code to
>feed attribute into the Who: column? There wouldn't be any computed
>attributes involved.
>
>This isn't a requirement, I'm just asking to understand where the
>boundaries are.

It's certainly *possible*, if perhaps not advisable for user-level control
on a per-item basis.  We would have to have additional fields to *store*
that choice, for each field that allows a choice, on every single item.

However, it's definitely possible for individual kinds to do this
programmatically on a per-item basis (e.g. by detecting whether a message
is outbound or inbound), which is probably more useful in the short term
and doesn't impose any additional storage overhead.