[Dev] Re: [Design] Distinguishing a collection as a "user collection"

John Anderson john at osafoundation.org
Thu Mar 2 10:01:05 PST 2006

Alec Flett wrote:
> Andi just checked in the ability to have bidirectional references
> between ContentItems and InclusionExclusionCollections - this is
> really great news. This means we can start to ask, what exactly is a
> "User collection"?
>
> We've been delaying the decision about what a 'user collection' really
> is, from a technical standpoint... but I think that in order to figure
> that out, we need to figure out what it means from the user's
> perspective. We need to handle this because internally we make ample
> use of Collections for different technical reasons. At the moment the
> domain model treats them all the same (for instance they all have a
> 'color' attribute) - and then it makes it really hard to fill in the
> "Appears In:" line in the detail view. We have to actually query the
> sidebar to see what "user collections" exist.. yuck! Further, we want
> bidirectional references between items and their "user collections" so
> that users and parcel writers can make use of the value of "Appears
> In" without writing duplicate code.
>
> From a user's perspective, it seems like a User Collection both:
> 1) appears in the sidebar
I think it might be slightly more accurate to rephrase this "is
contained in the sidebar collection" In theory any UI could display the
sidebar collection, however, today only the sidebar block's contents is
the sidebar collection. We should never access the sidebar collection by
looking up the sidebar block.