No subject

Tue Mar 14 17:13:41 PST 2006

"
Basics

The RestrictedPython package contains a slightly modified version of the
compiler package found in the Tools directory of the standard Python
source distribution. It uses this package to convert Python source code
into a tree of objects (an AST) that represent the syntactic structure
of the code. It then edits this tree, and uses the compiler package to
convert this tree into an executable Python code object.

The RestrictionMutator module performs the AST conversion. Functions for
applying restrictions to various sorts of code are contained in the
Compilers module. The Guards, Limits, and Utilites modules contain
dictionaries of replacement builtin functions for, respectively,
security restrictions, resource restrictions, and added functionality.
The PrintCollector module defines a class that is useful for
implementing print redirection. The Eval module provides a helper class
for creating restricted Python expressions.
Usage

There are three kind of Python code that can be restricted using the
RestrictedPython package: Expressions, Functions, and Modules. All three
must be provided with global variables containing a read guard function
and a write guard function when executed. If you wish to enable print
statement redirection in a function or module, you must also provide a
print handling class.

An expression cannot contain statements, such as assignments or loops,
but it can still bind variables as a side effect of list comprehensions,
so you must still provide a write guard. An expression can also change
data structures by calling methods such as a list's append() or a
mapping's update(). You should either control or prevent access to these
methods with your read guard, or take care not to expose lists and
dictionaries that should not be modified to restricted code.
"

Hope this helps

Rgds

Tim Hoffman

On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 09:03, Aleks Totic wrote:
> I've been evaluating the feasibility of using Python as our
> scripting language for external scripts for Chandler. If this is
> to work, we'd need a bulletproof sandbox.
>
> The current sandbox standard in Python is rexec. It's
> documentation points out that:
> "While the rexec module is designed to perform as described
> below, it does have a few known vulnerabilities which could be
> exploited by carefully written code."
>
> Any details/comments on usefullness/security of rexec?
>
> ZOPE also mentions running sandboxed Python code? What sandbox
> model is it using?
>
> Aleks
> --
> atotic at osafoundation.org
>
> John Anderson wrote:

DISCLAIMER: This email, including any attachments, is intended only for use
by the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or personal information
and may also be the subject of legal privilege. Any personal information
contained in this email is not to be used or disclosed for any purpose other
than the purpose for which you have received it. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not disclose or use the information contained in it. In
this case, please let me know by return email, delete the message
permanently from your system and destroy any copies. Emails and their
attachments may be interfered with, may contain computer viruses or other
defects and may not be successfully replicated on other systems. All
attachments are opened at the recipient's risk.