[Chandler-dev] 0.7 alpha 3 RC 1

Andi Vajda vajda at osafoundation.org
Mon Jul 31 09:21:39 PDT 2006

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Grant Baillie wrote:

>> Shouldn't Mac's Rosetta emulator run PPC binaries on the Intel machines?
>
> Yes, it should. My understanding is there is some bug where a PPC instruction
> used by PyLucene isn't implemented in Rosetta. So, you can launch the app
> just fine, but as soon as indexing fires up (e.g. you create a new event) the
> app crashes. (In 0.6.x, this doesn't happen b/c indexing isn't enabled).
>
> Anyway, Mitch has seen this with the intel build, so I'm going to give it a
> whirl on my intel Mac Mini here at home and see what I can find.

Yes, there is something used in the libgcj garbage collector having to do with
threading that is not implemented by rosetta. In any case, we've had the
native intel mac build available for several months now and it's much much
faster then emulating a ppc under rosetta. This topic should be moot now :)

Andi..