[Chandler-dev] Alpha4 recap

Sheila Mooney sheila at osafoundation.org
Wed Jul 19 11:53:19 PDT 2006

With all the traffic on the design list and Alpha3 finishing up, I
thought it was worth once again summarizing our plans for Chandler
Alpha4 and providing some context for where this milestone fits into
the longer term planning.

At a high level, what we are building towards is a 1.0 version of our
products and services. Prior to 1.0, we will reach 2 significant
milestones...

- Alpha: proof of concept for 1.0
- Beta: a dogfoodable version of 1.0

Our current plan of record is for Chandler 0.7 to become the Beta
version of our 1.0 desktop product, targeted for early 2007. In order
to get to Beta, we are planning a series of 2 month releases over
which Beta features will be staged. If we plan Alpha4 as a 2 month
milestone (Sept), we could imagine an Alpha5 (Nov), Alpha6 (Jan) and
perhaps Alpha7-0.7 in Mar 2007.

What the "Alpha" version is seems to be a bit fuzzier since Beta has
been the real focus point. We do know there is some pre-Beta
milestone where people can start to use the key features that are
part of our 1.0 goals (particularly around the dashboard and
stamping). We seem to be homing in on Chandler Alpha4 as the "Alpha"
version. As far as Scooby and Cosmo are concerned, the Alpha may be
happening at a different time and we are working on clarifying that
right now. It's really about having someone using the products and
services to satisfy some subset of our 1.0 usage scenarios.

The primary tenets for Alpha4 are...

+ Build a first iteration dashboard so users can experiment with our
triage and stamping workflows.
+ Continue to enhance the usability of the calendar by addressing
things like visual improvements and performance.
+ Support the larger collaboration workflows by tackling the sharing
format design and finding a way to reconcile a user's sharing world
between the desktop and the web client.

These top priorities along with other detail can be found on the
Alpha4 plan page and reflected in a series of specs.

http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Projects/DetailedAlpha4Plan
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Projects/
ZeroPointSevenPlanning (spec table)

Sheila