[Chandler-dev] undoing repository commits

Andi Vajda vajda at osafoundation.org
Wed Jul 19 11:48:41 PDT 2006

In revision 11205, I added support for undoing the latest commits done in a
repository. This is currently an experimental feature that is best triggered
by the --undo <toVersion> option at startup time.

Look in chandler.log, to get the version number to undo to.
To know where chandler.log is see [1].

Maybe Bryan could add another option to the Ctrl startup dialog that calls
repository.undo(toVersion) ? (Bryan, if you intend to do this, let me know)

Undoing to a version allows to get rid of versions that are corrupt due to
bugs, such as indexes getting out of whack, for example (still working on
that). Getting rid of the latest version(s) committed in a repository helps it
to get back to a sane state where check() passes. It is a good alternative to
throwing out a repository completely and starting from scratch.

This new feature raises the topic of commit() comments. If we supported
commit() comments then instead of specifying a repository version to undo to a
comment could be specified instead. For an obvious example:
     rc --undo 'last sync'

I can easily add commit() comment support if you think this would be useful.

Changes that are undone are deleted from the repository, they cannot be
redone. In other words, undo cannot be undone.

Andi..

[1] http://wiki.osafoundation.org/twiki/bin/view/Projects/ProfileDirectory