[Chandler-dev] Subzilla updated

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Jul 13 23:40:56 PDT 2006

At 10:04 PM 7/13/2006 -0700, Jeffrey Harris wrote:
>Hi Reid,
>
>>Quick question. I noticed that this installs the script in the directory
>>/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/bin since the
>>Python I use is from DarwinPorts, which lives under /opt/local.
>>To make my login scripts easier to manage, is there a way to get python
>>to print out that pathname instead of hardcoding it? Something like
>>'import setuptools; print setuptools.path;' -- except that it works. :-)
>
>Hmm, I'm not following exactly what you want.  How would printing the path
>make your login script easier?
>
>To tell you the truth, I really don't know much about setuptools, though,
>PJE's much more likely to be able to help you.

You probably want to just tell easy_install to put scripts somewhere that's
already on your PATH, using --script-dir.  Try something like this in your
~/.pydistutils.cfg:

[easy_install]
script_dir=~/bin

This should also work to install easy_install itself to ~/bin, or if not,
just run "ez_setup.py -s ~/bin setuptools".

Or, if you prefer not to mess with configuration files, just always use
"easy_install -s ~/bin whatever" when installing packages.