[Chandler-dev] Re: [Cosmo-dev] (no subject)

Grant Baillie grant at osafoundation.org
Wed Jul 12 17:28:04 PDT 2006

On 12 Jul, 2006, at 14:32, Morgen Sagen wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2006, at 1:19 PM, Brian Moseley wrote:
>
>> On 7/12/06, Morgen Sagen <morgen at osafoundation.org> wrote:
>>
>>>     http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Projects/
>>> ExternalInformationModel
>>>

>> apple mail sucks so much because of this one stupid bug. how hard can
>> it be to fix!!
>>

> Bummer.  Apparently it's not so much a bug as it is a not-widely-
> adopted standard.  According to this thread:
>
>    http://www.hawkwings.net/2005/07/26/broken-hyperlinks-in-apple-
> mail/
>
> ...or    http://tinyurl.com/eov2n    for non-Mail.app users...
>
> ...Apple is actually following the RFC standard and no other
> clients are yet.  I haven't gone to read the RFC on this, so I
> can't say for sure.
>
> ~morgen

IIRC, Apple is violating a SHOULD in the RFC (3676).

It's also a harder problem to fix than you think, given the
constraints of performing reasonably, operating in a unicode-ically
correct fashion (not breaking lines in the middle composed character
sequences or surrogate pairs), having "sensible" line breaks in all
languages, and producing RFC-compliant output, all in an arbitrary
output character set. You would, like, need to write some unit tests,
too :0.

--Grant