[Chandler-dev] Commit comments

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Tue Jul 11 13:14:59 PDT 2006

Andi Vajda wrote:
> It should be easy enough for me to hook something into emacs copying the
> contents of a bug report from bugzilla into a commit message.

I don't think it is generally a good idea to copy the bug contents
verbatim in the checkin comments (the summary is usually ok, although
even then I think it is often better to paraphrase it in the checkin
comment).

The bug contents are typically not in a suitable format for a checkin
comment, and are much too long for a checkin comment anyway. Often the
comments in the bug also do not exactly pinpoint what the real problem
and fix are - that happens as part of the bug investigation, and should
end up as description in the code, comments or checkin comment.
Sometimes the comments in the bug itself are even misleading.

--
  Heikki Toivonen