[Chandler-dev] Commit comments

Andi Vajda vajda at osafoundation.org
Tue Jul 11 12:17:32 PDT 2006

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Reid Ellis wrote:

> An ideal solution would be to take the two actions (marking bug "resolved"
> and committing the change) and merge them, so that the comment is only typed
> in once (but is useful in both places).
>
> So can we do this with an svn hook of some kind and certain keywords (like
> "fixes bug NNN", which everyone seems to use)? Given the highly non-uniqe
> situation, I would hope there are tools already out there that accommodate
> this workflow.

The problem with this workflow and any such developer workflow is that each
developer thinks their workflow is the most common.

I think that to produce something useful and not too error prone, the tools
should be as easy as possible. Grant's suggestion that I write a script I use
locally to stuff more info into the commit message from an existing bug report
seems fine that way. It's easy for me to use and until people complain about
the redundancy, it's pretty worry free.

Andi..