[Chandler-dev] Last Alpha 3 bug needs a question answered: What commands are active when a modeless dialog is active?

Morgen Sagen morgen at osafoundation.org
Tue Jul 11 11:29:31 PDT 2006

On Jul 11, 2006, at 10:25 AM, Grant Baillie wrote:

> On 10 Jul, 2006, at 17:52, John Anderson wrote:
>
>> Hi:
>>
>> It seems like I have the last Alpha 3 bug to fix. Fortunately,
>> it's pretty easy, but it does raise and interesting question that
>> I need to answer before fixing the bug:
>>
>> Suppose you have a modeless dialog frontmost, i.e. on top of the
>> Chandler window. Should commands other than those for the dialog
>> be active, e.g. all the usual Chandler commands, or should only
>> the commands appropriate for that dialog, e.g. cut/copy/paste be
>> active.
>>
>> My personal opinion is that it's probably most convenient for the
>> user to make all the commands active. However, that may lead to a
>> situation where a modeless dialog might need to reflect changes
>> from some Chandler command that happens while it's frontmost.
>
> Making the commands active can also lead to situations where menu
> items work, but behave in unexpected ways. i.e. there would now be
> more configurations of the app's global state when the menu code runs.

The modeless dialogs in question are the publish and subscribe
dialogs, which now work in the background.  It seems safe to allow
all menu items when the subscribe dialog is open, however it's
probably a good idea to prevent the user from publishing a collection
while that same collection is being published in another dialog
***.   Also we should prevent the user from deleting a collection
while it's being published.

~morgen

*** Publishing a collection to multiple servers is actually supported
by the sharing framework, just not supported in the UI.