[Chandler-dev] Chandler IMAP server parcel

Travis Vachon travis at osafoundation.org
Tue Jul 11 10:29:36 PDT 2006

> It's probably a largely theoretical issue, since people don't
> typically delete & recreate mailboxes at a given path very frequently,
> but won't hash(UUID()) repeat values at some point? IMAP's uniqueness
> requirement (for clients to be able to sync a given mailbox without
> re-downloading the entire message list every time) is that the triple
> of (mailbox path, mailbox UID validity, message UID) uniquely
> identifies a given mailbox.

Right. I just took my solution (a random number from a pretty large
range) from the twisted network programming essentials book. As a point
of comparison, Courier-IMAP uses a time stamp. Unless there are any
objections, I think I'll combine the two (timestamp + random number). If
you think it would be worthwhile,  I could try throwing the hash(UUID())
in there too.

-Travis