[Chandler-dev] Commit comments

Grant Baillie grant at osafoundation.org
Tue Jul 11 10:16:19 PDT 2006

On 11 Jul, 2006, at 07:34, Andi Vajda wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, Jeffrey Harris wrote:
>
>> Now that I'm back from my (very refreshing) three week vacation, I'm
>> reading through hundreds of commit messages instead of the more
>> normal
>> few at a time, and my experience has prompted me to make a request.
>>
>> It would be really nice if I didn't have to click on bug URLs over
>> and
>> over again to figure out what general problem was solved by a commit.
>>
>> I'd like to ask people to include a sentence about what the bug being
>> solved is, in addition to including a bug number and a summary of the
>> solution, when committing.
>
> -1
>
> I'm really against duplicating data, especially one mouse click away.

It's several mouse clicks away if you're using "svn log" and not the
commit email. And the number of mouse clicks increases if, say,
you're scanning through a bunch of revisions trying to figure out
which one could have been responsible for some change.
Furthermoreover, as your alter egos Professor Bi-Ref and Dr Index
might say, there's nothing wrong with a little redundancy, eh :).

> I'd much rather implement a commit script that scans the commit
> comment and mails whomever doesn't want to follow the link the full
> comment sequence of the bug report from bugzilla.
>
> This is actually quite easy to do. Let me know if that'd help and
> if you'd subscribe to such a service.

If you're going to write a script, I think it would be better to have
it pass stdin as the svn commit message, get the revision number from
the output, and then update the bug (à la Subzilla) with both the
comment and the new revision.

--Grant