[Dev] writing automated tests

Katie Capps Parlante capps at osafoundation.org
Wed Jan 11 18:25:15 PST 2006

In November, we took a quick poll in our weekly "platform group" meeting...

Name one automated test (unit, performance, functional or other) that we
don't have and should have. Extra whuffie if it is not already a
bugzilla task and can be implemented in less than one day.

...and the results of the poll...

  * Create a new event and make it recur daily.
  * Do a complete review of repository unit tests, they are antiquated
  * Performance tests for email (send/receive)
  * Mock cosmo for functional and unit tests
  * More generally, mock servers for unit tests
  * Endurance stress tests for sharing (try to share and share and share)
  * Tests for sample parcels (only one flickr test right now)
  * More i18n tests
  * Test profiling, testing, debugging facilities available in chandler
  * Unit tests for date edge cases
     o special days, problematic dates
     o daylight savings time
     o eastern timezone
     o locales with non gregorian calendars

At the end of the release cycle, we didn't have a lot of time to act on
these ideas, but now we are at the beginning of a release cycle. :)

Any other ideas to share?

Cheers,
Katie