[Dev] Switching to Ubuntu

Mike Taylor bear at code-bear.com
Fri Feb 17 13:18:18 PST 2006

On Feb 17, 2006, at 3:57 PM, Heikki Toivonen wrote:

> Heikki Toivonen wrote:
>> I would like some other brave souls to do the switch and let me know
>> if
>> you faced any problems. If all looks good, we should be able to
>> convert
>> the Tinderboxes and QA lab next week.
>
> Well, seems we hit some roadblocks.
>
> Ubuntu Breezy Badger does not include gcj 3.4 which is required by
> PyLucene to work properly (they have gcj 4.0 which is too flaky for
> PyLucene - I tested).

Ubuntu (breezy) does not by default include 3.4 but that doesn't mean
it's not available.

> It seems impossible to have Ubuntu provide gcj-3.4 at this point, but
> please let me know if you think otherwise...
>
> We could create a new compilers package that you get by doing make
> compilers (like on FC2), but that defeats one of the goals for 0.7
> which
> is to make it possible for distributions to take Chandler.
>
> Chandler runs, and unit tests pass, even with gcj-4.0. It's just that
> any usage of PyLucene is suspect to crashes etc.

PyLucene issues alone prevent distributions from accepting Chandler.

My understanding was that we would continue to use gcc/gcj 3.4.x tools
to build binaries that *run* on modern distros with the understanding
that when other things fall into place we will be able to get distro
distribution.

I am currently testing to make sure that Chandler does build/run and
can be developed on with Ubuntu (and also making sure FC4 is clean) -
there is a possible issue with recent changes but I need to finish
testing.

---
Bear

Build and Release Engineer