[Chandler-dev] deferring delete until commit

Andi Vajda vajda at osafoundation.org
Wed Apr 26 10:11:21 PDT 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Bryan Stearns wrote:

> I've got a few questions... :-)
>
> - Is it expected that Chandler will run all its repository views in
> deferDelete() mode all the time? (or just the background views?)

Currently, no. The default is still the way it's always been, the item is
deleted right away. At this time, I only expect Morgen to use this in the
Sharing view. Later though, during alpha 3, we might want to consider making
it the default everywhere we might get such delete conflicts.
(item deleted in one view, same item changed in another).

> - When a recurrence is visible in the detail view and the user changes
> "occurs" such that that instance is doomed, what will now cause the detail
> view to stop showing that item? (I'm hoping the item watcher will fire and I
> can ask isDeferred() the way I currently ask isDeleted(), right?)

If the main view is deferring deletes then some code might have to be added
such that the detail view immediately reflects the fact that the recurrence is
no longer relevant. Today, this happens because Item.delete() causes all
values to be removed because when the item is deleted its kind is set to None.
When deletes are deferred however, none of this happens until the delete
actually takes place during commit.

Andi..