[Chandler-dev] Google Summer of Code

Ted Leung twl at osafoundation.org
Thu Apr 20 14:49:41 PDT 2006

Hi Folks,

Google has officially announced the Summer of Code Program for 2006
<http://code.google.com/soc/>.  This is a program where Google funds
college students to work on specific projects which are defined by
various projects in the open source community.    This program is a
great opportunity for us to build up the communities around Chandler,
Cosmo, and Scooby.  It is also a great opportunity for us to practice
working with people who are not part of the OSAF staff.

In order to participate, we need a list of projects, with specific
descriptions of what is expected, as well as people who will serve as
mentors for those projects.  We have a list of projects at <http://
wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Journal/TedLeung20060127> but the
descriptions need a bit more fleshing out so that students have a
good idea of what they are getting into.   You can see examples of
other projects idea lists linked off of the Summer of Code site.
Examples of particularly good lists are:

<http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2006>
<http://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2006/Ideas>
<http://subversion.tigris.org/project_tasks.html>
<http://www.mono-project.com/StudentProjects>

One goal of Summer of Code is expose students to the open source
development process, so the expectation is that we will work with the
Summer of Code participants using the normal mechanisms that we would
use to work with anyone else.   The idea behind having mentors is to
ensure that someone will be responsible for facilitating the
student's participation in the project - answering questions about
tools, architecture, and code.

Students begin signing up for projects between May 1 and May 8, so we
need to get our set of projects in shape fairly quickly.

If you are going to be a mentor, you will need to sign up to be a
mentor via Google's Summer of Code web app.  Google is not publishing
the url for this publically (due to spamming concerns), so please e-
mail me and I will send you the link.

I've created a Wiki page to track the Summer of Code process: <http://
wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Projects/GoogleSummerOfCode2006>

For more information on the Summer of Code

Main Summer of Code Website <http://code.google.com/soc/>
Summer of Code Terms of Service <http://code.google.com/soc/tos.html>
Mentoring Organization FAQ <http://code.google.com/soc/mentorfaq.html>

If you have any questions or need any help, please feel e-mail me or
respond to this message on the general@ list.

Ted

----
Ted Leung                 Open Source Applications Foundation (OSAF)