[Chandler-dev] Compiler versions

Reid Ellis rae at osafoundation.org
Thu Apr 20 11:39:20 PDT 2006

On Wed Apr 19 2006, at 23:48, Heikki Toivonen wrote:
> 1. By default, only print out a warning about potentially
> incompatible compiler but continue to build anyway. If
> CHANDLER_STRICT_BUILD_ENVIRONMENT_CHECK was defined, the build
> would actually stop with an error.

John Anderson replied:
> I would prefer that the default were the strict case and optionally
> you can override it with the environment variable. Personally, I
> think we use too many environment variables, which I find error
> prone, and I'd prefer that we use an argument to the make command
> like we do with DEBUG.

On Thu Apr 20 2006, at 13:41, Alec Flett pointed out:
> -1 on strict by default. We shouldn't be preventing users from
> building just because they don't use the exact environment we do.

Good point. So +1 on the default being a warning, -1 on the error.
And just to make Andi (and me) happy, how about we call it:

	BUILD_ENV_WARN

since what it does is warn you if the environment is new/unknown.

As a follow-up, how hard is it to change the compiler used? Can we
just do this?

	make CC=gcc-3.3

It would be great if that did it.

Reid