[Chandler-dev] Automating parcel egg updates

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Tue Apr 18 14:16:11 PDT 2006

Automating the parcel egg updates

We discussed this a little bit during the platform meeting, and I said
I'd clarify how I think this could work in a very streamlined fashion,
just requiring a single commit from developers like (same process as
before eggs).

The start situation: someone changes code in feeds parcel (for example)
and checks in.

When another developer, or Tinderbox, pulls this new code there is no
egg available to download (yet?). So what I propose is that the make
install automatically builds the egg, then installs the egg.

Now this leaves an open question: do we even need to upload/download the
eggs at all? If the answer is yes, we could make Tinderbox upload the
newly built egg automatically, and a normal make install would first
check if there was an egg to download before building one. I'd want to
avoid the case where the svn repository would need to do an automated
checkin to update the egg version number in the Makefile, but it would
be possible. Overall I think the download case would make the system
much more complex (but doable).

--
  Heikki Toivonen