[Chandler-dev] Feeds parcel is now a plugin egg - please "make purge"

Philippe Bossut pbossut at osafoundation.org
Mon Apr 17 17:36:49 PDT 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 02:29 PM 4/13/2006 -0700, Bryan Stearns wrote:
>>> Does this mean that if I make an API change to (say) blocks, or the
>>> detail view mechanism, I'll have to arrange a coordinated rebuilding
>>> of tarballs for the all the plugins before I can check in my change?
>>>
>>> (If so, I propose _not_ using the plugin mechanism for the parcels
>>> referenced by unit tests: it'll slow things down a lot)
>
> I don't know what you mean by "coordinated rebuilding of tarballs for
> all the plugins".
>
> My understanding is that you would simply make the changes to the
> plugins during the same checkin, and bump their version numbers.  The
> resulting tinderbox flames due to unavailability of the new versions
> would then be Bear's problem, providing additional motivation to make
> the availability of such upgrades automatic.  ;-)
I think that what Bryan meant was that to avoid this flame blooming on
Tinderboxes you need some coordinated rebuilding of tarballs...

> There are several other options to make the process work better, but
> all of them depend on build system changes, and I promised not to push
> for any more build system changes in 0.7 alpha 2 - the goal was only
> to make it *possible* to develop and use plugins in alpha 2, with
> "good developer experience" for the build process aspects being
> deferred to alpha 3.
>
> Unfortunately, with respect to this particular issue, I am at fault
> for not realizing that binaries aren't automatically made available
> for download when changes are checked in.  I thought they were, and
> thus thought everything would "just work" at this stage.  Hopefully,
> this is something we can change for at least the plugin eggs in alpha 3.
I think we're all in violent agreement here as to what's the solution
should be (automatic upgrades) and that it can't happen before alpha3.

In the meantime, what are we supposed to do?

We discussed this at the last Apps meeting
(http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Journal/AppsMeeting20060413#PJE%20change%20on%20parcels)
and thought that, for alpha2, we should let Feed break (temporarily, not
in the shipping version...) and take out the functional tests that rely
on it.

Thoughts?

- Philippe