[Chandler-dev] Moving forward with the wx on the trunk

Philippe Bossut pbossut at osafoundation.org
Thu Apr 13 20:32:32 PDT 2006

Heikki Toivonen wrote:
>> That's the strategy. It also implies that everyone should avoid posting
>> wx commits into the trunk while John is doing those merges. I know we
>> can roll back, etc... but having too many moving parts is what got us
>> into trouble in the first place so, knowing that we will hit a problem
>> (we're looking for a commit that creates failures...), I'd like not to
>> have to second guess who or what broke functional tests for the next few
>> days.
>>

> That's not the way I see it.
>
> John can do his work to track down the breakage without doing any
> commits. And any commits either on the trunk or branch won't affect that.

That's assuming that John can repro the failure on all platforms
consistently. This afternoon however John told us that he couldn't repro
the failure on Windows with tarball 39, only on Mac. How is he going to
make sure when he identifies and fixes the Mac issue that Windows and
Linux will pass FT? He'll have to see what happens on Tinderbox. If he
makes one single big merge at the end and FT fails on Windows (high
possibility IMHO), we wouldn't have made any progress.
> Also, my understanding is that we wouldn't be taking any incremental wx
> updates on the trunk.

If "any commits either on the trunk or branch won't affect that" why
would incremental updates?

Cheers,
- Philippe