[Chandler-dev] Moving forward with the wx on the trunk

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Thu Apr 13 11:36:59 PDT 2006

Philippe Bossut wrote:
> Would it be possible to have a tarball with those changes only? (before
> we dive into the incremental commits). I think we need to progress with
> caution here so that we can back out to clean points on our way.

Yes, I believe we'll be rolling a new tarball today after John and Robin
 check in some of their changes.

> That's the strategy. It also implies that everyone should avoid posting
> wx commits into the trunk while John is doing those merges. I know we
> can roll back, etc... but having too many moving parts is what got us
> into trouble in the first place so, knowing that we will hit a problem
> (we're looking for a commit that creates failures...), I'd like not to
> have to second guess who or what broke functional tests for the next few
> days.

That's not the way I see it.

John can do his work to track down the breakage without doing any
commits. And any commits either on the trunk or branch won't affect that.

Also, my understanding is that we wouldn't be taking any incremental wx
updates on the trunk.

Once again, here's how I see this going:

- John tracks down issues in past revisions, and we fix the issues on
the branch
- John, Robin, etc. port the most important alpha2 bug fixes to trunk so
that we can start testing them ASAP
- Once all of the issues on the branch are fixed, we effectively make
the branch be trunk again

--
  Heikki Toivonen