[Dev] Objection to the new CPIA example

John Anderson john at osafoundation.org
Mon Nov 7 11:14:14 PST 2005

Heikki Toivonen wrote:

>Bryan Stearns wrote:
>

>>The change below is supposed to be an example, but much of it introduces
>>a new mechanism for associating detail views with items, and the example
>>just shows how to use that. At the meeting last week where John proposed
>>

>I agree with you. I would have expected the example to be self contained
>in the samples directory, and it to use the recommended methods
>currently available and use in Chandler without introducing new things.
>An example that is coded differently from the real Chandler seems less
>valuable than an example that shows and explains how we really do things.
>
>If John discovered a better, new way to do things, we should discuss
>whether or not we should take that change separately and convert ALL of
>our current ways into that. I think this late in 0.6 we shouldn't.

My proposal is not a replacement for our current mechanism. Instead it's
only for the special case where you only want a single view for your
item, not a view made up of combined types like we do when whe combine
kinds with stamping. It has the advantage of making the hello world
sample much smaller and simpler than it otherwise would be -- and
doesn't preclude extension to the normal detail view case.