[Dev] Uses of <cloudAlias>?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue May 31 20:27:41 PDT 2005

Hi all.  I was surveying existing cloud definitions in parcel.xml, hoping
to firm up how the schema API will "spell" its cloud definition syntax, and
I ran across a few interesting examples of the use of the <cloudAlias>
element in cloud endpoints, and I have a few questions.

First, I noticed that in all cases where cloudAlias is used, it is used on
*all* of the "byCloud" endpoints in that cloud, and it invariably matches
the alias of that cloud.  In other words, clouds aliased as the "default"
cloud always use a cloudAlias value="default", if they hav any cloudAlias
elements.  My question: is there ever a time that you would need to specify
a *different* cloud name?

Second, I found that of a total of 32 endpoints defined as "byCloud", 9 of
these did not have a cloudAlias element specified.  Are these defaulting to
the same meaning as an explicit cloudAlias with the same name as the alias
of the defining cloud, or does it mean something else altogether?

Third, I found one "byRef" attribute that nonetheless has a cloudAlias
element present.  Does this actually mean anything, or is it just an
error?  (I assume it's the latter.)

Any insight y'all can offer would be appreciated.  I think I've come up
with a reasonable way to specify clouds in the schema API, but it might
need a little tweaking depending on the answers to these questions.  I'll
make a proposal for the actual syntax as soon I know the answers to the
above.  Thanks!