[Dev] Upcoming Chandler date/time related changes

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue May 24 15:09:03 PDT 2005

At 02:07 PM 5/24/2005 -0700, Heikki Toivonen wrote:

> > +from datetime import datetime
>
>This is just a general note about from vs import. I think we determined
>that import is better, so things like this would be better to write:
>
>import datetime.datetime as datetime

Since these two statements do the same thing, I don't understand how/why
one could be better, unless you mean readability.  However, from a
readability perspective, I find "from datetime import datetime" much better
than the other, which is both verbose and contains 50% more redundant
content.  :)

> > +from PyICU import GregorianCalendar, DateFormatSymbols
> > +dateFormatSymbols = DateFormatSymbols()
>
>This looks weird. Maybe python gurus can weigh in if this should be changed.

Well, I notice that in the diff, the resulting object is only called with
no-argument getters, so in principle this could be made a module, or a
class with classmethods so as to avoid the instantiation step.  But maybe
there are other issues involved?  Andi?