[Dev] CVS to SVN conversion plans

Mike Taylor bear at code-bear.com
Fri May 20 15:52:59 PDT 2005

I will be converting the CVS repository to SVN this coming Wednesday,
May 25th.  The conversion will occur early in the day my time (EST).

What this means is that CVS will become read-only and the code base
will be moved to the subversion repository.  As it stands now all of
the CVS history and tags and the like will be transferred.

The change impacts many small parts of our dev environment.

CVS userid and password
	The SVN userid and password should be the same - the actual details of
that will be known later when I do a test-run of the security changes.

Commits mailing list
	The list is the same but what will change is the format and content of
the messages - I think you will like the new version :)

Bonsai, lxr
	lxr will have older data until we can re-run the lxr process on the
new repository
	Bonsai should be available immediately unless my new posting script
dies in some unknown manner

ViewCVS
	ViewCVS will no longer be needed and will be replaced with ViewSVN -
most likely the url will stay the same or become a redirect

SVN clients
	Each dev will have to obtain a SVN client for their target system

	command line
		http://subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html#binary-packages
	GUI Clients
		Subclipse: 	http://subclipse.tigris.org/		(Eclipse)
		TortiseSVN:	http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/	(Windows)
		RapidSVN: 	http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/
		SmartSVN: 	http://www.smartcvs.com/smartsvn/index.html

Documentation, Notes
	SVN Online Manual:  	http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
	OnLamp Article:		http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/5059

I will be sending out a small SVN how-to email with some specific notes
on how to do the more common CVS tasks in SVN.

---
Bear
http://code-bear.com

http://www.osafoundation.org