[Dev] Parcel namespaces and the schema API

Katie Capps Parlante capps at osafoundation.org
Wed May 11 10:11:35 PDT 2005

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 08:37 AM 5/11/2005 -0700, Lisa Dusseault wrote:
>
>> If the namespace doesn't matter -- and I tend to agree -- then why not
>> make the namespace we define our elements in be simply
>> "http://osafoundation.org/namespace" and let 3rd parties use their own
>> namespace?
>

> 1. I'm not proposing changing the existing OSAF namespaces for anything
> but Zaobao; why needlessly churn the existing parcel.xml files?  So,
> '/parcels' should remain our root namespace.

Perhaps "thirdparty" is not the right way to describe Zaobao. It is not
a core parcel but it was created and will continue to be maintained by
OSAF, as an example, at least for 0.6. (Of course we still need to
address the issue for 3rd party parcels).

> 2. The purpose for which namespaces are currently used is to allow one
> parcel to refer to elements defined in another.  Allowing third parties
> to choose their own namespaces means there are *two* things a parcel
> developer has to know for each parcel: its Python package name, and its
> arbitrary XML namespace.  And, it is not possible to determine the XML
> namespace from the package name, or vice versa, if the XML namespace is
> allowed to be arbitrary.
>
> Thus, allowing users to define their own namespace for parcel content
> identification produces needless overhead for parcel developers while
> providing no benefit.  Therefore it should be eliminated.

Yeah, I agree with this -- just creates more pain.

Cheers,
Katie