[Dev] Cosmo

RL 'Bob' Morgan rlmorgan at washington.edu
Tue May 10 12:19:32 PDT 2005

I'm happy to see this.  In the part of the university space that I have
some influence on (basically Internet2 middleware projects such as
Shibboleth, things we produce at the University of Washington, other folks
who endure my hand-waving) I've been promoting the use of, uh, "the"
Apache license, ie <http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html>, in
an attempt to reduce license proliferation.  So I'm always pleased to see
other projects doing this too.

FWIW we're working on one project with a potential code contributor that
has a rather notorious history on patent issues, and the patent provisions
in the Apache license are very useful in making clear to them our
expectations, and is helping us to convince them to do the right thing
(ie, grant the blanket license).

  - RL "Bob"