[Dev] Cosmo

Mitchell Kapor mitch at osafoundation.org
Tue May 10 11:56:12 PDT 2005

After due deliberation, we have decided to go with an Apache license
for Cosmo (OSAF's WebDAV/CalDAV server).

The Apache license, having many fewer restrictions, is, broadly
speaking, developer friendly.  Specifically, the Apache license is
better suited if we want commercial developers to use or incorporate
Cosmo, as opposed to develop their own.  This has proven a key
dynamic with Apache itself.

We recognize that going with the Apache license arguably forecloses
the revenue opportunity from a hybrid license approach as we have
planned for the chandler client.  However, it does not eliminate the
possibility of generating revenue from a hosted service offering.

On balance, going with the Apache license makes sense because we to
promote the goal of widespread adoption and are less sensitive to the
revenue issue.

Sheila Mooney and Pieter Hartsook will be working out the details so
developers can legally download the code.

Thanks for your patience.