[Dev] Repository migration roadmap

John Anderson john at osafoundation.org
Fri May 6 14:01:09 PDT 2005

Another possibility that's much easier to implement that "full schema
evolution" is to only evolve content item schema and the few other kinds
that are important for them, e.g. item collections. Almost all of the
remaining data in the repository is used by the UI, e.g. CPIA, which can
be completely thrown away and replaced with new schema and instances
when it evolves. So the worst thing that happens is your view is lost
when the schema evolves. If we decided to put the burden of schema
evolution on the content item code and not bother with UI schema
evolution, the task becomes pretty easy since most of the necessary
pieces already exist.

John