[Dev] Tracking with Bugzilla (2) - vote on component list

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Wed May 4 10:17:04 PDT 2005

>> Following up on yesterday's e-mail and meetings with Heikki, Aparna
>> and the whole App team, I updated the doc:
>>    http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Chandler/BugzillaTracking

I don't like the App: prefix. It is only meaningful to the application
team, and to a limited extend other people who are familiar with the
project and our working group structure. For everyone else, EVERYTHING
is the application, so it does not make sense to differentiate some
parts of it (why is the calendar not part of application? or the
repository?). And some could argue that App could mean anything, being
such a short string.

I propose to drop the App: prefix altogether. I know it scatters the
"app components" in the list, but I don't think that is a problem. In
fact, I think it is helpful - you can type the first letter of the
component name when you have focus in the list and it will take you
there. Does not work when everything is prefixed with something.

Other than that: +1

PS. Here are component lists from Mozilla which we might want to take a
look next time we are changing components to get some ideas (core is the
technology used by all Mozilla products - recent change which I think
makes filing bugs harder, but managing is easier, although end users
often file a bug in the product they are using and then it gets moved to
the core):

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=Firefox
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=Thunderbird
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=Mozilla%20Application%20Suite