[Dev] Timezones/Recurrence/Sharing

Jeffrey Harris jeffrey at skyhouseconsulting.com
Tue May 3 14:33:40 PDT 2005

Hi Brian,

> jeffrey, when you've found that list, let me know where it is, cos i'll
> need to construct cosmo's timezone collection from it :)

Looks like Bear beat me to answering your question.  UNIX systems will
have a zoneinfo database (also called tzfile, or the tz database, or the
Olson database) somewhere, for windows you can download one from...
Gosh, I'm not coming up with a link for a download very easily, there's
a slightly outdated one at http://s.keim.free.fr/tz/doc.html.

Bear's link lists various parsers for zoneinfo files.

The issue Chandler has with "a list" for displaying to the user is
discussed at
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Journal/JeffreyHarris20041119.

Basically, on Windows, do we use the Win32 timezone definitions (good,
consistent human readable names for timezones, variable cross platform
behavior), or a zoneinfo database (then it's unclear what human readable
label to use for the local timezone, since Windows' label for local time
won't uniquely match an entry in the zoneinfo database).

For Cosmo I don't think you need to worry about the local timezone, so
you should probably use a zoneinfo db.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey