[Dev] Chandler Virtuality: Now and Future
mimi at osafoundation.org
Tue Jul 26 15:08:21 PDT 2005
Last Tuesday, I made a Design presentation to OSAF staff about the
Chandler Virtuality: What it is today, the workflows it is designed
to support and how it will mature into an extensible platform in the
The presentation slides can be found at: http://
Our working definition of virtuality is: The quality of unity and
robustness of the shared imagined space.
Goals of the presentation:
1. Provide the vision and motivation for Chandler's design.
2. Establish a concrete, multi-dimensional user-centric conception of
how information is stored and organized in Chandler both to provide
context for development efforts in the 0.6 timeframe as well as to
provide a focal point for development efforts moving forward in 0.7
3. In addition, we wanted to...
Demonstrate how Chandler's virtuality will:
- Feel familiar to users
- Meet their organizational needs
- Scale to deal with a lot of data
- Make room for Chandler as an extensible platform
- Presenting research and user-based studies
- Explaining the conceptual model behind the design
- Demonstrating how the conceptual model is realized in the UI
- Comparing and contrasting our design with alternatives
We intend to turn this presentation into a more coherent write-up and
a series of screencasts. Hopefully, I will post something to the blog
over the next few weeks.
In the meantime, some related reading if you're interested can be
http://shirky.com/writings/ontology_overrated.html (A long, but
interesting blog posting comparing fixed hierarchical taxonomies and
more free-form "items in a soup" organizational systems.)
More information about the Dev