[Dev] Unit testing wxPython

Donn Denman donn at osafoundation.org
Tue Jul 26 09:59:54 PDT 2005

On Jul 18, 2005, at 2:00 PM, Heikki Toivonen wrote:

> Gintautas Miliauskas wrote:
>> in EuroPython 2005 I believe someone from the Chandler team was
>> interested in unit testing wxPython applications.  I was asked about
>
> Hello Gintautas. Yes, I was that person.
>
>> wxPython support during my presentation on gtktest, a pyGTK unit
>> testing
>> helper library. Well, now I intend to generalise gtktest a bit to
>> accommodate other GUI toolkits.
>>
>> Would there be interest in using such a GUI unit-testing tool in
>> Chandler?  I have little experience with wxPython but, given a little
>
> I think there is some interest. We'll have to see if we could spare
> some
> resources to work on this a bit.
>
> The context where I would like to see this take us is enabling us to
> easily run fast GUI tests on our Tinderbox machines. Tinderbox is a
> system developed by the Mozilla project where one central server
> reports
> the status of various Tinderbox clients. The clients can run arbitrary
> tests. In case of Chandler we run various automated unit and
> integration
> tests. GUI testing has proven problematic. What is lacking is automated
> GUI tests, although we have some progress on that as well.
To follow up on Heikki's last comment; we are working on automating our
framework layer which is written on top of wxPython.  We plan to use a
scripting system to develop GUI test scripts.  Most of the commands
drive our framework layer, but we'd also like to be able to drive the
wxPython layer directly.  We've just started exploring simulating user
input such as typing and mouse clicks at that lower layer.  If you
expand gtktest into wxPython I would think this would help us build our
wxPython-level scripting features.