Asynchronous sharing (was Re: [Dev] Services, CPIA, Content Modelintercommunication)

Bryan Stearns stearns at osafoundation.org
Fri Nov 5 14:04:14 PST 2004

John,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but isn't mail retrieval an asynchronous
operation as far as the user is concerned? I'm assuming that like other
PIMs, mail will be automatically retrieved every so often. The user might be
in the middle of editing a new message, and shouldn't have to wait for the
retrieval process to complete before continuing to type. To me, it seems
cleaner for mail retrieval to happen on its own thread (otherwise, all other
code running on the UI thread would have to figure out ways to yield it, and
that'd get convoluted pretty quickly).

Did you have something different in mind?
...Bryan