[Dev] Chandler profile directory

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Wed Nov 3 11:23:08 PST 2004

bear is now working on Chandler installers, and I feel we should resolve
the issue of Chandler profile directory (it would contain the
__repository__ directory and any other files and directories specific to
a user or profile of a user).

It should be possible to install one copy of Chandler on a system with
read and execute permissions. Every user on the system would use this.
Each user would have their own profile dir where they would store their
own data, and only they would have read and write access to it.

Following what Mozilla does with it's profile locations, I would suggest
the following:

Linux:
   ~/.chandler/profiles/<profilename>/<random>

Windows:
   C:\Documents and Settings\<login>\Application
Data\Chandler\Profiles\<profilename>\<random>

Mac:
   /Users/<login>/Library/Application
Support/Chandler/Profiles/<profilename>/<random>

If we decide each user can only have one profile, we could then get rid
of the <profilename> dir.

The random part in the path is to thwart attacks against known file
locations (it has saved Mozilla users on several occasions).

--
   Heikki Toivonen