[Dev] Build: generated code

Nicholas Bastin nbastin at mac.com
Tue May 18 21:16:57 PDT 2004

On May 18, 2004, at 2:00 PM, Ted Leung wrote:

> On May 18, 2004, at 10:58 AM, Mark Jaffe wrote:
>
>> Ted,
>>
>> I guess it was not clear that I implied checking in the generated
>> *.py files so that the "chandler" tree as extracted from CVS would
>> actually be runnable as-is, without any "build" steps required. Your
>> statement implied NOT checking in the generated files.
>>

> Hmm, I misread what you wrote.  You own the build, so the decision is
> ultimately up to you, but I do think that this is bad practice.

For what it's worth, I concur with Ted.  In my experience, checking in
generated code is almost always a bad idea.  For one thing, it is
possible that the code generated will be different on different
platforms, even for Python (although less likely, I realize, than for
something like Yacc).  Also, checking in the generated code can cause
confusion as to which version of the generation tool it was created
with - in addition to storing unnecessary diffs of the generated code
in your source control system, since you really don't care about the
version history of the generated code.  I think it is reasonable to
expect that anyone downloading source from CVS would expect that they
would have to build it, even for something like Chandler.

--
Nick