[Dev] Build: generated code

John Anderson john at osafoundation.org
Tue May 18 11:11:46 PDT 2004

Ted Leung wrote:

> On May 18, 2004, at 10:58 AM, Mark Jaffe wrote:
>
>> Ted,
>>
>> I guess it was not clear that I implied checking in the generated
>> *.py files so that the "chandler" tree as extracted from CVS would
>> actually be runnable as-is, without any "build" steps required. Your
>> statement implied NOT checking in the generated files.
>>

> Hmm, I misread what you wrote.  You own the build, so the decision is
> ultimately up to you, but I do think that this is bad practice.

I completely agree. If we lose the ability to automatically produce all
derived files, it will be difficult to control unexpected consequences
of which versions python, compilers, etc. are actually used to produce
our final code -- not to mention making it difficult for other
developers who might want to build Chandler.

John