[Dev] OSAF Office Hours Wednesday 11 AM PST, topic: Protocols

Grant Bowman grantbow at grantbow.com
Sun May 16 02:16:02 PDT 2004

* Grant Bowman <grantbow at grantbow.com> [040511 13:27]:
> * Ducky Sherwood <ducky at osafoundation.org> [040510 17:37]:
> > This is a reminder that the next OSAF Office Hours will be this
> > Wednesday, May 12 at 11 AM Pacific time (18:00-19:00 GMT/UTC/Zulu).
> >
> > This, week, Lisa Dusseault and the Services group will be leading a
> > discussion about protocols in Chandler.  This obviously includes IMAP,
> > POP3, SMTP, as well as some protocols that we are looking into now
> > (WebDAV) and some that we haven't chosen yet (like some way to find peers).
> >
> > As always, our Office Hours are at irc.osafoundation.org, channel
> > #chandler.
>
> Oh, I didn't know folks where looking into peer finding protocols.  I
> recently did some research into ZeroConf (one implementation is used by
> SubEthaEdit) and summarized it in a wiki page.
>
>         http://vi-improved.com/wiki/index.php/ZeroConf
>
> There is interest from Alexander Klimetschek (DocSynch's author), Bram
> Molenar (Vim's author) and from members in the Vim community about
> SubEthaEdit functionality added to Vim.

FYI,

My horizons were expanded regarding protocols a bit by reading about the
Internet Engineering Research Groups.  Several seem relevant to Chandler
efforts.  I chose to subscribe to the p2prg mail list.

        http://www.irtf.org/groups.html

Specifically I wasn't aware of the history behind VMTP (RFC 1045), a
product of the End-to-End group.  I found with a google search that it
is academically well cited via citeseer.ist.psu.edu.

Cheers,

--
-- Grant Bowman                                <grantbow at grantbow.com>