[Dev] Feature suggestion: campus map
p.gaudette at verizon.net
Wed Jan 7 07:20:36 PST 2004
I suppose this suggestion is obvious, but I don't see it in Feature Summary
(Preliminary). I think it is particularly relevant for college campuses in
a later phase.
I'm new to Chandler (but not to software), so I welcome feedback. Is this a
reasonable sort of comment? Too much detail? Not enough?
Feature: campus map
* Appointments are associated with coordinates.
* A shared campus map is available using the same kind of coordinates.
* The campus map can show details down to rooms within a building, including
* Address translators can map (har!) room identifiers to coordinates.
My Chandler can navigate from an appointment item to a map with the
More ambitious feature: You Are Here
* If my mobile Chandler host has GPS capability, the map can also show my
* Without GPS I could also enter coordinates for a host in a fixed location,
but the benefit is tiny.
Personally I would stop at displaying You Are Here. In my experience,
automated driving directions are intriguing but error prone, and walking
directions would likely be less useful and more error prone.
Use case: Where is that appointment?
* I get confirmation of an appointment at a specified but unfamiliar
building and room.
* I ask to see that location.
- Chandler looks up (and saves) the coordinates for the specified building
- Chandler shows me a map, centered on the location, with zoom and pan
* Later, an appointment reminder shows up before the time of the appointment
(as I requested).
* Again I ask to see the location.
Use case: Where are my classes?
* I receive my new class schedule: [ (class, room identifier, coordinates)
for each class ]
* I send the class schedule to my private campus map as a new overlay,
replacing the previous one.
- A private campus map is not more than a set of overlays on the shared
* I print my updated private campus map.
Variation: Before committing to a class schedule, I try them out on a map
to avoid back-to-back classes that are too far apart.
More information about the Dev