[Dev] Street Address schema question

bear bear at code-bear.com
Fri Feb 27 16:25:09 PST 2004

This is a copy of a comment I posted to the wiki page
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/twiki/bin/view/Chandler/ContentModel
but I figured I would also mention it here to stimulate some
conversation on the topic.

bear

Question about the fields listed for Street Address  -

According to the US Post Office
[[http://pe.usps.gov/cpim/ftp/pubs/Pub28/pub28.pdf][Postal Addressing
Standards Pub28]] there really is only a few fields required to store a
mailing address:

   * Attention Line - e.g. Jane Doe
   * Recipient Line - e.g. Widgets-R-Us
   * Delivery Address Line - e.g. 123 Any Street
   * Secondary Address Unit Designator - e.g. Apt 12
   * Last Line - e.g. Philadelphia PA 19123

The Last Line is commonly broken up into Country Code, Postal Code,
Region and Municipality.  A reference to an xml schema that is very
concise is
[[http://xml.coverpages.org/HRXML-PostalAddressV22.pdf][HR-XML
Consortium Postal Address 1.2 Spec]]

The reason for me bringing this up is that the Street Address should
really concern itself with the fields required for a postal address and
any other information would go into the Contact item.