[Dev] Re: Mail backend investigation, some documentation Re: Dev digest, Vol 1 #184 - 5 msgs

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 09:16:54 PDT 2003

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:12:42 -0700
From: Michael Toy <michael at osafoundation.org>
To: dev at osafoundation.org
Subject: [Dev] Mail backend investigation, some
documentation

>based on my 10,000 ft. view, it is at least worth a
>run at using the guts of mozilla as the solution for
>these things, but we should have a non-anecdotal
>reason for rejecting other candidates like twisted
>and c-client

There is a good chance the initial e-mail back-end
will be a throw-away prototype. If Mozilla provides
most of what you need to test a low-level e-mail
back-end subsystem (which probably adds very little
value to the overall end-user's email experience),
then use it, rather than doing an exhaustive search.
I feel an initial e-mail subsystem does not have to
be perfect or particularly efficient. However the
prototype has to provide essential functionality
and provide early insights.

Cheers,
Andrew