[Dev] IM presence ...

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Jul 28 16:43:43 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 02:34:47PM -0700, Michael Toy wrote:

> Actually I was using "IM" to mean "any random IM, including but not
> limited to IRC".  Sorry, I forgot to include my special
> Michael-Glossary.

Actually, IRC is a groupchat system, not an IM system. :)

> Some of the problems with IRC may be resolved by moving to a better
> jabber client, for example, so I didn't want to box in the discussion
> by mandating any one IM protocol.

Jabber has protocol and implementations for doing everything IRC does,
except more securely:

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0045.html
http://mu-conference.jabberstudio.org/

You can even connect to Jabber using your IRC client, if your server of
choice runs JIG:

http://jig.jabberstudio.org/

I apologize for not making it to the Chandler BOF at OSCON, what good
things did I miss?

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre