[Dev] Chandler 0.1 available immediately

Mitch Kapor mitch at osafoundation.org
Mon Apr 21 15:29:18 PDT 2003

It gives me great pleasure to announce the first release of Chandler,
release 0.1!  While we are still very early in the design and
implementation process, we intend for this 0.1 release to make us a more
fully open project.  We have made the release available for download,
opened up our bug tracking database, and opened our source code
repository.  We have also spent quite a bit of time in the past few weeks
focusing on improving our code and documentation.

We are focusing first on architectural issues, not end-user features, yet
there are some interesting things to look at in this release.  In
particular, the outlines of the Chandler peer-to-peer sharing framework are
visible.  There are also the very crude beginnings of a calendar and
contact manager to play with.

We haven't begun to focus on a polished user interface, the current user
interface is a placeholder. So rest assured that future releases will bring
dramatic improvement in this area as well.

The 0.1 release does have a fair amount of the framework for writing
"viewer parcels" -- plug-ins that can be added to Chandler extremely
easily.  In fact, two of our sample viewer parcels were written by OSAF
team members who were not hired as programmers and who were completely
unfamiliar with the tools.

In future releases, we will improve both the architectural framework and
user experience significantly, with a short-term emphasis on  novel
features over robustness or well-understood features.  We need to
incorporate our original features as early as possible so that we can
explore their implications, and we need to make it as easy as possible to
implement those original features.

0.1 Release info: (links to all end user and developer documents) at
http://www.osafoundation.org/Rel_0.1_Info.htm

Downloads: http://downloads.osafoundation.org/chandler/releases/0.1/
Bugzilla: http://bugzilla.osafoundation.org
CVS: http://cvs.osafoundation.org